Monday, July 22, 2013

My Own Mr. Darcy by Karey White

After being dragged to the 2005 movie Pride and Prejudice by her mother, sixteen-year-old Elizabeth’s life changes when Matthew Macfadyen’s Mr. Darcy appears on the screen. Lizzie falls hard and makes a promise to herself that she will settle for nothing less than her own Mr. Darcy. This ill-advised pledge threatens to ruin any chance of finding true love. During the six intervening years, she has refused to give any interested suitors a chance. They weren’t Mr. Darcy enough. Coerced by her roommate, Elizabeth agrees to give the next interested guy ten dates before she dumps him. That guy is Chad, a kind and thoughtful science teacher and swim coach. While she’s dating Chad, her dream comes true in the form of a wealthy bookstore owner named Matt Dawson, who looks and acts like her Mr. Darcy. Of course she has to follow her dream. But as Elizabeth simultaneously dates a regular guy and the dazzling Mr. Dawson, she’s forced to re-evaluate what it was she loved about Mr. Darcy in the first place.
I thought this was a lot of fun. I’m a big fan of Jane Austen (who isn’t?) and loved the Kiera Knightly movie version. I actually remember watching it for the first time and the second it ended (around midnight) I made my husband go buy me a copy. I couldn’t wait to own it and make all my family and friends watch it. Beautifully done (and much better than the BBC version!), IMO. Anyway, I thought the premise for the book was cute. Elizabeth fell in love with Mr. Darcy and would settle for no one else. I won’t say too much about the plot so I won’t give away spoilers, but soon a love-triangle emerges when Elizabeth has to choose between a guy she likes and a guy who she feels resembles her Mr. Darcy. I did think it was a tad crazy how obsessed she was with Mr. Darcy (and the actor who played him). It was nice to see her grow and watch as she figures out what she really wants in a relationship and choosing someone who is the best fit. Elizabeth was a likable heroine. She is a nice person and I thought that when she was with Chad she was much more herself and I enjoyed their time together. The guys. I liked Chad. We’re supposed to like Chad. He is a great guy, treats Elizabeth well and is obviously crazy about her. He respects her and accepts her for who she is. He encourages her and even when she dumps him is still understanding and tries to be a good friend. Then there is Matt. I didn’t really care for him. I guess we’re not supposed to. I was surprised Elizabeth dated him so long when it was obvious that they had nothing in common. Aside from his resemblance to the actor who plays Mr. Darcy, I didn’t see any other similarities. I actually disliked it when she would compare them and find them similar. I guess I always pictures Mr. Darcy a lot nicer, sure he was a bit cold at first, but I never get the impression he thought he was better than anyone else. Matt does. He is pretty snobby. Again, I don’t think we’re really supposed to be rooting for him, so it’s no surprise he’s not that likable. Overall, a fun read. If you’re a fan of Pride and Prejudice you’ll enjoy this story. I liked that it wasn’t a retelling of the classic, but its own story. I thought the cover was pretty as well.

Content: Clean.

1 comment:

  1. I love retellings! I'm so excited to read this one. It's waiting in my kindle right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!